There should be no compromise regarding the construction materials for your house. Your home is that one place where you can find comfort and recluse from all the stress and monotony of your work life. Therefore, you must consider only the best materials to build every house structure, from the walls to the floor. Acknowledging that roof is perhaps the most important part of your house, you might have to make a hard choice.
The choice will come from roofing material between polycarbonate and fiberglass. There are many speculations about these two materials, especially the one where people usually consider them to be look-alikes of each other in terms of functions and features. However, that’s not true because the fiberglass and polycarbonate roof skylight in Dubai is quite different. Therefore, before you decide on the material for your roof, it’s better to understand what key factors separate these two materials.
What is polycarbonate roofing? What is fiberglass roofing?
The first thing you need to know is what the polycarbonate roof skylight in Dubai is made of. Usually, it is made from reinforced plastic and is considered to be much tougher than PVC. These thermoplastics form flat sheets laid over the roofs to form the cover. Instead of using the usual tiles or shingles, people use polycarbonate sheets.
Another common material that you will find used in roofing is fiberglass. It is made from plastic that is further reinforced with glass fiber to make it much stronger and more durable than chemicals. Fiberglass is known for durability and longevity, which is why you can enjoy many benefits from this material.
Pros and cons of polycarbonate roofing
- Polycarbonate is considered to be one of the lightest thermoplastics in the industry. As a result, carrying the sheets to different places and installing them on the roof won’t be a problem for anyone.
- Apart from this, the polycarbonate roof skylight Dubai can resist UV radiation, thereby reducing the chances of damage from prolonged exposure to the sun.
- Since polycarbonate is quite flexible, you can roll or flex the sheets according to the present roof structure.
- Polycarbonate sheets do not offer resistance against chemical leaching and corrosion.
- They also fail to prevent scratch formations or dents in the roof, thereby not suitable for areas with a hailstorm.
Pros and cons of fiberglass roofing
- The significant advantage of fiberglass material is that it can resist damage from chemical leaching and corrosion.
- They are perfect for all climatic conditions, from the scorching summer to the chilling winter.
- Since it is reinforced with glass fibers, the strength and longevity of the panels are extended further. Therefore, you won’t have to often call for repair and replacement.
- Besides, the fiberglass panels come in different shapes and colors. So, if you want to add more value to the house’s external aesthetics, the fiberglass panels will be the best.
- The first and foremost drawback of fiberglass roofing is the high cost. Since these are constructed in special ways, the cost is higher than polycarbonate.
- It requires a lot of maintenance to extend the overall lifetime and prevent any probable damage.
As you know the differences between fiberglass and polycarbonate roof skylight in Dubai, you can easily decide which one to go for. The choice will depend on the usual climate and weather conditions, your budget range, roof size and area, and so on.